Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Mama Burger at Val's Burgers- Hayward, CA

I've been trying to find some time to make it out to Val's for months and although it's not far from where I live I just haven't found the time- until today. Val's is located in Hayward, CA in a mostly mixed residential area a bit off the beaten path. They've got ample parking and I was even able to find a spot during a busy Friday afternoon lunch stop.

Val's Burgers
Val's opened in 1958 and has been grilling burgers ever since. It's 900+ favorable Yelp reviews likely helps draw in a lot of business and the burgers keep people coming back. When you walk in it has a bit of a nostalgic diner feel- lots of newspaper clippings on the walls from over the years, signed pictures of obscurely known celebrities who have eaten there, old decor, booth seating and an open seating area along the counter which runs the span of the whole business.

I wish I would have tried this place sooner because Val's does a good burger. The burgers are available in three sizes from the 1/3 lb baby burger to the 1 lb papa burger. All burgers are char-grilled and served with lettuce (cheese an extra $.35 and tomatoes an extra $.25). All other toppings and condiments are at your table to build a burger any way you like including pickles, onions, relish, mustard, ketchup, and mayo.

The Mama Burger at Val's
I went for the 1/2 lb mama with tomato, American cheese and a side of grilled onions- medium rare. I topped it off with lettuce and all the condiments. The burger was cooked perfectly. It was amazingly run down your arms juicy, awesomely flavorful and seasoned just right. The grilled onions came on the side and there was enough to top at least 5 burgers- a great value at $.75 extra that added some caramelized sweetness that made the burger even better. I have to say, Val's makes a near perfect burger- and for that I give Val's an 8 out of 10 and I have to put it on my top 10 burger list.

Aburgeraday rating: 8/10

Val's Burgers on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment